How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Fiona Chen Your Own Question
Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 482
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Dr. Fiona Chen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was just recently let go earning 25.58 hr and i just got a

Customer Question

hello Pearl, i was just recently let go earning 25.58 hr and i just got a new job
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: starting 16.00 Im 62 should I just retire at 25% less on social security.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: how much do i need to make to keep my ss high
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 11 months ago.

Dear Customer,

The Social Security Administration takes our highest 35 years with earnings in our life time to determine our social security retirement benefit payment amount. So, with a long-working history, you probably have already made the highest 35 years already.

If you have not had 35 years in history. Then, any working amount in the year with earnings can help to increase your amount.

Working more can increase someone with 35 years of working history already is ONLY IF the salary will make a new year with earnings higher than any of those prior 35 highest years one already has. Then, any one new, higher yearly earning amount will replace one earlier, older, lower years in the social security calculation.

You may want to go to a local social administration office to have them print out your work history and see what your highest 35 years are so far. Then, you will know exactly how much more you need to work to make your social security amount higher.

Please feel free to follow up.

Below are some social security website link for your further reading and reference.


Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP