How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife died on April 9, 2015. She was 61 at that time. I am

Customer Question

My wife died on April 9, 2015. She was 61 at that time. I am 62, turning 63 in December. I made more money per year than her and will have a larger social security check upon retirement. i make between $160,000 to $190,000 annually.
When can I and should I file for her Social Security benefits?
I hope to work until 66 (full retirement) and 68 if I stay healthy?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ABC Accounting Group replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Sorry for your loss. You can collect a monthly benefit, but at the age of 62, you will only receive a little over 70% of the amount you could get if you wait until you can receive your full benefit (which is age 66 for people born in 1945-1956). Best Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am talking about my wife's benefit. Is there a cap on how much i can make a year and collect her's? Can i switch to my full retirement benefit when I retire? The social security rep said i make too much money to claim hers before my full retirement age