Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My son was receiving social security as he has autism, I

Customer Question

my son was receiving social security as he has autism, I received a letter yesterday stating they have over paid him as they are terminated his benefits, as his part time job of $10 per hour he makes to much and they want $19,967.90 back and in 30 days. One he doesn't have the money all the money we received was used for him, will they negotiate the amount they say he has to pay back. If he can't pay it back what happens?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

If you do not find the accounting that gave rise to the SSA's finding of an overpyment, to be incorrect, you can still do a few things:

1) You can ask that they WAIVE the the overpayment - this is rare, but you can at least ask for it.

2) More likely, you can succeed in asking for a payment plan. He may be able to request that he pay $25/mo or something similar, that he is capable of paying. Of course it is possible that he will never get to pay it all back, but they will typically want him to be trying. So seek a payment plan agreement with the SSA office.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!