Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My daughter receives social security due to a disability.

Customer Question

My daughter receives social security due to a disability. How do I determine how much of it can be used for her shelter and food? She lives with me and her sibling.
JA: It's only $5. These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: What do you need to know?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: It's not for retirement, my daughter is in her 30s and is unable to handle her own money, I am her representative payee.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I received it.

Thank you. I'll have your answer shortly, Hold tight.

Here is what you CAN do:

"You should use benefits for current needs (such as food, clothing, shelter, utilities, dental and medical care, and personal comfort items), or for reasonably foreseeable needs. If not needed for these purposes, you must conserve or invest the benefits for the beneficiary. Where the beneficiary has unmet current maintenance needs, saving benefits does not serve a purpose and would not be in his or her best interests.

You must use benefits in the best interests of the beneficiary, according to your best judgment." https://www.ssa.gov/payee/faqrep.htm

How, this does not mean you have to have your child support herself with these moneys -- if you can otherwise support her, as you perhaps did prior to her getting this benefit, you may want to save it for her future (social security is NOT tethered to preventing savings, unlike SSI, so that would be safe for social security benefits).

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!