How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I worked 31 years and retired and applied for Social

Customer Question

I worked 31 years and retired and applied for Social Security at age 62. I have worked for the last several years. I must now stop working due to a medical condition which has developed in the deep veins of my legs, very painful. Surgeon says surgery is too risky. My question is it possible to collect Social Security Disability due to having to leave my job and I am currently receiving a Social Security discounted monthly benefit. I do have a fully medically documented condition, ultra sound scans, MIR's, been seen by the best specialists. Can I possibly qualify for a Social Security Disability benefit which would mean a higher paid benefit every month. Would they rework my SS benefit amount since I have continued working. Any information would be deeply appreciated. Also, I was married to my ex-husband for 11 years. Am I eligible to any of his Social Security. I know he is collecting his Social Security benefit. He is 68 years old. I need all the help I can get. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Trudi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Are you 65 or older?

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Social security disability will automatically convert to regular social security benefits at full retirement age. When you applied for early benefits you permanently reduced your own but also all future benefits you may be eligible for. You can apply for disability benefits and if approved the following happens:

1. If social security determine that your disability started before you applied for your regular benefits, you will be switched to disability, receive the increase retroactively and at full retirement age you will keep the higher benefits.

2. If social security determine that your disability started after you applied for your benefits, you will be switched to disability but you will not receive retroactive increase and at full retirement age your benefits will be reduced back to the previous amount.

You may be eligible for spousal benefits if you are currently unmarried and your spousal benefits (about 30% of your spouse's benefits) are higher than your own. But you can only collect one benefits at the time: your own, spousal or disability.

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

I would like to make this simple for you -- based on your information - since you drew your social security at 62, and then worked and are now disabled -- you would be ineligible for disability benefits. This would be overridden only if you could prove that your disability began before the date you began receiving your retirement benefits.

If you need assistance applying for the benefit if indeed you were disabled before you started drawing benefits, your senator or congressman will have people who can do this for free.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.