How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 11995
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband died in 2000 and I received social security for

Customer Question

My husband died in 2000 and I received social security for our 12 year old daughter and myself till she was 18 thinking about retiring next year I will be 61 in December of 2016.. back in 2000 I received the maximum benefit at the time. What documents do I need now or am I allready in the system. Also since I received the maximum then will I still receive the maximum now ?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

Hi. I'm Lane. I can help you here.


Likely you just need to apply, given that the documents in the system were regarding survivors beneits.


But now you are receiving a different, a survivors benefit (as opposed to the benefit that goes to a spouse a minor child of a decedent (two different benefits).


One does not affect the other. Once you turned age 60 you were eleigible for the basic survivors benefit, 71.5% of his benefit. If you wait into age 66 (Full Retirement Age), your benefit wouldbe 100% of his full retirement age benefit.


Here are the different benefits (from SSA here:



  • Widow or widower, full retirement age or older -- 100 percent of the deceased worker's benefit amount;
  • Widow or widower, age 60 -- full retirement age -- 71½ to 99 percent of the deceased worker's basic amount;
  • Disabled widow or widower aged 50 through 59 -- 71½ percent;
  • Widow or widower, any age, caring for a child under age 16 -- 75 percent.
  • A child under age 18 (19 if still in elementary or secondary school) or disabled -- 75 percent."
Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

I hope this has helped. … Please let me know if you have any questions at all.


If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

Otherwise I’m working for no crediting at all here


Thank you!


I hold a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.