LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am a widow drawing SS from my deceased husband. If I

Customer Question

I am a widow drawing SS from my deceased husband. If I should remarry and he passes away what would I draw from his SS?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: What kind of info do you want?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: Will I draw full or half of his SS
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What is your present age?

2. What age will you be when you remarry?

Doug

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm 74 and I will be the same if I remarry.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!

You are all set to get married and your present survivor benefit will continue to be paid to you. Social security law holds that so long as you are at least 60 years old at the time of remarriage, if you are receiving a survivor benefit that benefit will continue uninterrupted for the rest of your life, regardless of the fact that you may choose to remarry.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The gentleman is in bad health and wants me to marry him. I don't want to put myself in jeopardy of not having enough to live on when he passes
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I want to know if I will draw more from him than I do now
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Even if he dies, you will continue to receive your survivor benefit from social security. If he dies before you do and his benefit is greater than yours so long as you were married at least 9 months to him, you would be eligible to receive a survivor benefit based on his earnings if it pays more than the benefit you are no receiving.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon,

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug