How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4506
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother for whom I am payee on his SS is mentally

Customer Question

My brother for whom I am payee on his SS is mentally disabled. We are being hounded by relatives who want to get guardianship of him to collect his SS. Is there any way we can stop his social security permanently so they will quit harassing us? We do not need the money but do need the peace of mind that stopping his SS will afford us.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 11 months ago.

Hi from just answer. I'mCustomer I'll assist.

Expert:  PDtax replied 11 months ago.

It is rare that a disability recipient wants to suspend collecting benefits, but you can.

You need to both go to a social security office in person to do this, and both of you will have to identify yourselves and make your application to suspend.

They may suggest you keep your benefits, and route the payments to another entity, like a trust. I would suggest that as well, because there could be real problems if you are the income earner and caregiver and you predecease.

Consider using some of the payments to buy enough life insurance to replace you and your income. I know that wasn't your question, but I wanted to make that suggestion.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer

Related Social Security Questions