How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was on disability for 15 years, then went off when I

Customer Question

I was on disability for 15 years, then went off when I started working, I ended up owing a overpayment. I then moved & left my job, I was unable to find work. I was forced to file bankruptcy due to no income & had to claim the SS disability overpayment which was completely discharged in my BK. I ended up needing to go back on disability and SSD confiscated my retroactive disability to pay the debt that was discharged in my BK. I have been trying to get that money refunded back to me for 6 months, they insisted that I send them a certified copy of my BK discharge to prove it was valid & they still confiscated the retro payment that I am owed. This is illegal but they did it any way. My case worker spoke with their finance dept & they said I would be issued a refund in 60 days... that has not happened. I also followed up with a letter to them over a month ago & they never acknowledged or responded. They can not confiscate payment for a debt that was discharged in BK, it is against the law & subject to stiff fines but apparently they feel the law doesn't apply to them
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 1 year ago.