How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3274
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is mentally ill. He receives SSI monthly which goes

Customer Question

My son is mentally ill. He receives SSI monthly which goes toward his cost share of rent at his assisted living facility (ALF). We understand his SSI is reduced if he has to stay in a hospital for 30 days or more straight. He is being assessed by mental health doctors and therapists for a possible stay in a state mental hospital that could be up to 90 days or more if ordered by the court. We fear that losing that SSI or the reduction of it will also cause him to lose his place at the ALF which we cannot afford full payment of his stay. This ALF is the best place he's had to live and the places otherwise available are basically dumps with what we have determined offer poor assistance to the tenants.
What is the ruling on this and what are we to do please? Concerned Father
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

A special rule applies if your son will be in the medical facility for 90 days or less. If you give SS certain information, your son may continue to receive his regular SSI benefit for up to 3 full months.

A doctor must state in writing that your son will be in the medical facility for 90 consecutive days or less.

SS also needs a statement from your son or someone knowledgeable about his circumstances that he needs his SSI benefits to maintain his home or living arrangement while he is in the facility.

    SS needs these statements as soon as possible after your son enters the facility. They must be submitted before your son leaves or by the 90th day he is there, whichever is earlier.

    Please let me know if I can assist you further.

    Thank you and best regards,