Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

N Neugent and my husband was drawing SS at his death Feb.

Customer Question
My name is***** and my...
My name is***** and my husband was drawing SS at his death Feb. 23, 2016. My SS# ***** *********. My husband, Hubert Dean Neugent's SS# **********. When he died we were instructed to return his SS check for that month which our bank did. After not receiving his benefits from Feb. -Aug. 2016 I went to the SS office in San Antonio which is located on Richland Hills Dr.
As his surviving spouse, I requested SS call and help me to begin receiving his benefits. I am handicapped, and a representative did call August 5, 2016. I was told to take Proof of Marriage and Proof of Death which I took to the SS office at Richland Hills Dr. in San Antonio, TX78245. I waited in the main area and was told I needed to talk or see Mrs. Martinez. I did this 2 different days, and never got to see or talk to Mrs. Martinez, and she hasn't called as of today.
I am so upset since I have recurring bilsl each month and it is very difficult to continue paying them. I depend on his SS income to help to do this. Please help me settle this matter as I need to know why I have not received benefits from my husband since Feb. when his SS check was returned to Social Security.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
8/15/2016
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi May. My Name's Lane. I'll try to help you here.

...

I know this is frustrating ... the GOOD news is that once they finally process you will get a retroactgive benefit that covers back to your husband's death.

...

What you migh want to consider is calling (and yes, you'll have to wait on the npohone for a time) the main number to set an appointment to go into the office and ask, so sorry, again, about this.

...

My firm has seen a terrible lag in processing time over the lase several years will all of the government cutbacks.

...

What we're seeing is that wat used to take two weeks can now take two to thre months.

...

HOWEVER, again, these things have an effective date on them, and your husband's date of death is the effectgive date here.

...

When calling to set the appointment, be sure to tell them where the process is now, and this should help you to get an appointment with the correct person.

...

My suspicion, however, is that you will begin to see something shortly if you DID give SOMEONE there the documentation.

...

Did they take, or copy, the Marriage and death certificate when you went in?

OK, , I still don’t see you coming back into the chat with that information

But again, where you really are in the process here, I think, depends on whether they took the documentation of marriage and death certificate from you when you went into the office.

...

If they did, then I think you are very close to getting the benefits started again (and again, this will start based on the date of your husband's pasing)

...

If not - if they didn't take that information from you - then (so sorry, I wish there were an easier way) perserverance in getting an appointment and getting back in to the office WITH THE APPOINTMENT BEING FOR THE PURPOSE OF truning in those two pieces of information, is liley your best path.

...

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

Otherwise I’m working for no crediting at all here

...

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS