How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15739
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a chaplain and have been receiving an housing

Customer Question

I am a chaplain and have been receiving an housing allowance, I found out that the retirement community I work for is not taking out social security. I am an ordained minister and opted years ago to remain in the social security program. My first church paid my social security so now I am not sure what to do. When my taxes were done by an AARP CPA he did not know what to do? How can I resolve this.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.


Besides employment by churches, and synagogues, clergy employed by other types of organizations may be eligible to receive a tax qualified housing allowance also.

In Boyd v. Commissioner, 42 T.C.M. 1136 (1981), a chaplain employed by a police department received a housing allowance designated by a federation of churches that organized the chaplaincy program. This was because the organization was recognized.

There have been private letter rulings which determined that hospitals, retirement homes, and other types of entities may be qualified organizations for purposes of designating a housing allowance. Private letter rulings cannot be used by any one except the person that requested them to argue a position but they do help.

The housing allowance is not taxable for income tax but it is for Self Employment (which is SS and medicare) so the CPA should have completed the SE tax form for for you.

If they did not, have them amend your filing.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

Hello Joel,

I am checking back to see if you contacted the CPA about that filing.