How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Fiona Chen Your Own Question
Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 482
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Dr. Fiona Chen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was adopted when I was 4. When I was 18, I had to get a

Customer Question

I was adopted when I was 4. When I was 18, I had to get a replacement social sercuity card and it had my birth parents listed on the information. My father was in the military at the time of adoption. Why didn't the informmation change?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 11 months ago.

Dear Customer,

The social security data base is not automatically linked to state or county databases. For example, if a person is married and would like to apply for last name change, the person not only need to change the last in the State where s/he resides, the person needs to go to Social Security Administration to apply to have his/her name change. At that time, the person will have to show proof, document, and reason of name change.

Therefore, if you would like your last name changed or your step father's name added to your records, it is best that you go to SSA to ask for the proper procedure to do so.

Some of the procedures and explanations we find are on how a step parent can apply for a social security number for the child. See links below. It is apparently not very common but is crucial equally to find out how to also list the adopted parent's name on the record. Sometimes, the step parent may also qualify the adult children for benefit, etc. So, the SSA must have a way to add the record.


Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP