How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15730
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have 33 years federal employment,however I worked under

Customer Question

I have 33 years federal employment,however I worked under social security from 1972--1983,my question is -will I lose some of my federal retitement if I apply for my socialsecurityat my retirement in 4 years?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.


When you work for an employer who doesn’t withhold Social Security taxes from your salary, such as a government agency like you, any pension you get from that work can reduce your Social Security benefits.

SSA bases your Social Security benefit on your average monthly earnings adjusted for average wage growth.

A federal worker first hired after December 31, 1983 is not effected by the adjustment.

A pension based on earnings not covered by Social Security can affect the amount of your Social Security benefit this is called Windfall Elimination Provision.

Your federal pension is not effected but your SSA benefits may be.