Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I have been on social security for almost 6 years, beginning

Customer Question

Hello. I have been on social security for almost 6 years, beginning when I was 60. I took my husband's social security (he had passed away).
I am now almost 66 and was told that I can choose between the benefits I receive now and those that are allotted to me on my social security number - whichever one is higher. Is this correct?
Thanks.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

Hi, My name's Lane. I can help you here.

...

That's exactly right ... although you can't "stack" two different benefits, if your benefit on your own record is higher, you can file for that and they will pay you a combination of the teo that takes you TO that higher amount.

...

Also, you should know that if your own work record isn't higher (or even much higher) you will get an additional 8% on your own benefit for every year you wait to file (up to age 70)

...

With compounding that ends up being a 36% higher benefit (waiting from 66 to 70)

...

Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

. … Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

Otherwise I’m working for no crediting at all here

...

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks very much Lane.
Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

You're very welcome ... Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) …is thanks enough!

That's the only way I'll be credited for the work here

...

Thank you,

Lane