How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3171
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How and where do I report social security benefits income

Customer Question

How and where do I report social security benefits income and taxed paid on social security benefits received in 2015. I see a place to report the income on 1040. Do I just add my income tax withheld on SS income to my entry for income tax withheld from salary on 1040? Thank you. Barry D. Roberts(###) ###-####or***@******.***.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

On 1040, you will report the amount from your SSA1099 box 5 on line 20a and the taxable portion on line 20b. If you had taxes withheld listed in box 6 of your 1099SSA, report it on line 64 of your 1040.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

If you are paper filing your return, include copy of your 1099SSA with your return to show the withholding along with all your W2s.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.