Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

My wife is 73 and did not know about spousal benefits until

Customer Question
recently. She filed and was...
My wife is 73 and did not know about spousal benefits until recently. She filed and was awarded spousal benefits retroactively to 6 months ago. Is there any way she can collect this benefit retroactively to age 65 when she started drawing ssa benefits on her own record. I am the same age and started getting my benefits 1 month before she did. Our local SSA office will not answer the question.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
8/4/2016
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane. I can help you here

...

I'm so sorry, but the retroactive benefit limit IS for six months.

...

The only time Social Security will pay a benefit retroactively for longer than that is when there has been a disability claim (which can take YEARS to settle) and those ARE paid retroactively back to the original claim date.

...

You can read more about the six month limit here:

...

https://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home%2Fhandbook/handbook.15/handbook-1513.html

...

Again, I'm so sorry to be the messenger here (please don't shoot the messenger)

...

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content. Otherwise I’m working for no crediting at all here.

Thank you!

Lane

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS