How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3801
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On July 10, 2016 my husband of 21 years died at age 88. At

Customer Question

On July 10, 2016 my husband of 21 years died at age 88. At 73 I am his survivor. We were both on Medicare and had a supplemental policy from GEHA, as my husband worked for the Federal Government for many years. I contacted the LPM to see if it is possible that he had a life insurance policy or if there are any survivor benefits that might make it possible for me to get by in the future. He also worked for Boeing the last 5 years of employment and we did receive the paperwork to complete for a life insurance policy with them. It is impossible to plan for the future without the info from the Federal government.
I also wanted to make an appointment at the local Social Security office but couldn't find the in person information on the website. Any help would be appreciated.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

First, please accept my deepest sympathy on the death of your husband.

As to the life insurance from the federal government,

The Federal Government established the Federal Employees' Group Life Insurance (FEGLI) Program on August 29, 1954. It is the largest group life insurance program in the world, covering over 4 million Federal employees and retirees, as well as many of their family members.

You can call 1-***-***-**** between the hours of 8:30 am and 4:00 pm, Eastern time, Monday through Friday.

The following link contains excellent information you will find helpful:

As to Social Security,

You can call the main number, 1-***-***-**** to schedule an appointment with your local office. Please note, however, that you do not have to visit your local office to report your husband's death. You will, however, have to mail a copy of the death certificate to your local office, and the person you speak to will provide that information.

You can also use the following link to find our your local office information:

Click on "Find an Office" at the top

Click on "I need other services"

Type in your zip code

Your local office information should appear.

If you need help with obtaining your local office information, please provide your zip code, and I will get the information for you.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,


Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Best regards,