How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37666
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an amputee currently home from work recovering from a

Customer Question

I am an amputee currently home from work recovering from a pressure wound.I am 62 years young.Am I eligible for any bebefits?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good morning Kevin,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Under social security regulations, you may only apply for social security disability benefits (SSDI) if you will be disabled and unable to work at least for 12 months, and even then, your benefits cannot start for at least 5 months after the date that you are determined to be disabled. However if your physician believes that you will be out of work for more than a year, you may go ahead and apply now for your SSDI benefits, and your payments will start after 5 months. You can apply online for your Disability (SSDI) benefit at this site:

If you are not going to be disabled for at least 12 months, you still may apply for an early social security retirement benefit because you have reached age 62. While your benefit will be less than if you had waited until age 66 to apply for your benefit, taking your benefit now can help you financially get through the period of not working. And your benefit can begin almost immediately because there is no waiting period once you reach age 62.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, and with the expectation that you would act similarly and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.


Is there anything else I can assist you with today?