How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15720
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother was receiving child support up until 3 months ago,

Customer Question

My mother was receiving child support up until 3 months ago, a month ago she needed to get a new social security card and went into the SSI office to get one when she was asked a series of questions (Audit) if she was getting any other income she told SSI that she was for a while, and then explained she had used a Fed program called TANF that she used over 20 years ago decided to intercept her child support payments and pay themselves back for the assistance she got from them. Now the SSI rep told my mother she may adjust her monthly income (Lower) because she (was) receiving child support and its counted as income. my question is how can they lower her SSI monthly amounts when she's not receiving support anymore?
It's honestly sad she was barely surviving off of both SSI and support and now both have been greatly affected and she's having trouble paying bills now. Any help or advice would be great thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.


Unfortunately, although filing for child support is a condition of eligibility for TANF, it is not so for the SSI program. TANF recipients must assign the right to any child support collected to the TANF agency, while SSI recipients are required to report this income to SSA. Despite these differences in program design, both programs operate in fundamentally similar ways, using child support payments to offset benefits.

Your mother can request a waiver of the overpayment. An overpayment is when you receive more money for a month than the amount you should have been paid. The SSA will generally reduce future payments by the overpayment amount reducing the benefits in the future months till repaid.

If they grant her a waiver, she will not have to repay all or part of the overpayment. She may have to submit bills and receipts showing her expenses but SSA will let her know.

Please do not forget or ignore to give a positive rating (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES). It adds nothing to your costs but it assists me.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

Checking to see how you responded after you read my post