LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Did i receive a social security card at birth?

Customer Question

did i receive a social security card at birth?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 12 months ago.

Good afternoon Matthew,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

No, you did not receive a social security card, or number, at birth. Social security numbers and the cards are only issued by the Social Security Administration based upon a specific request---typically by a parent of a minor child at some time after you were born. In recent times, because parents need social security numbers to claim a tax exemption for their child, the social security number is ***** issued in the first year after you were born. But a few decades ago, it was not uncommon for a person not to have a social security number or card until they were of working age.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 12 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, and with the expectation that you would act similarly and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug