How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4675
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

AS I approached my 65th birthday in 2005 (06-20-1940), I met

Customer Question

AS I approached my 65th birthday in 2005 (06-20-1940), I met with a representative who told me that although I was still working, I was at the top of the age scale to receive SS. (nothing was mentioned about the 8% increase for each year if I waited) I took her advice and signed to receive. Little did I know how long I would have to continue to work. Although I have stayed in the same job, I am with my 6th employer in 21 years .
Question....because I have continued to pay into SS over the last 11 years, am I eligible for an increase in benefits?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax. I'll assist.

Your wage base is recalculated each year, so if your post-claiming wage is among your 35 highest wage years, your wage base will be increased, as will your benefit.

If your benefit has not been bumped up, it might be because your current earnings did not raise your wage base. This can happen if you were already at the top of the wage base calculation, which you implied earlier.

Best is to review your wage base online using your my social security account, or with a visit to an SSA office to review your benefit math with an SSA agent.

I hope that sheds some light on what could have been correctly done. It is possible that errors were made that could increase your benefit. They happen. That office visit or wage review will show that as well.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback when you rate my assistance is appreciated. I'm PDtax.