How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13568
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have Medicare parts A and. I also have Anthem supplemental

Customer Question

I have Medicare parts A and B. I also have Anthem supplemental insurance. I am having spine surgery and will require some home care after rehab. Anthem says they will only cover what social security covers so will you please inform me what social security covers for post operative home care—how long/how much and any other information i will need to apply for financial assistance. Please call me at(###) ###-####or(###) ###-#### ***** is urgent. Thank you.
dianne sweer ###-##-####
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

OK, generally, it will depend on what "care" you need. Housekeeping? Not covered. But skilled nursing or similar care if you are homebound, it is possible.Medicare itself tells us this:

If you have Medicare, you can use your home health benefits if you meet all the following conditions:

1. You must be under the care of a doctor, and you must be getting services under a plan of care established and reviewed regularly by a doctor.

2. You must need, and a doctor must certify that you need, one or more of the following.

Intermittent skilled nursing care

Physical therapy

Speech-language pathology services

Continued occupational therapy

Seepage 8 for more detail on these services.

3. The home health agency caring for you must be approved by Medicare (Medicare-certified).

4. You must be homebound, and a doctor must certify that you’re homebound. To be homebound means the following:

Leaving your home isn’t recommended because of your condition.

Your condition keeps you from leaving home without help (such as using a wheelchair or walker, needing special transportation, or getting help from another person).

Leaving home takes a considerable and taxing effort.

A person may leave home for medical treatment or short, infrequent absences for non-medical reasons, such as attending religious services. You can still get home health care if you attend adult day care, but you would get the home care services in your home.

More information can be found here:

Good luck with your surgery, I am sending positive thoughts!


Stephanie Joy


I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!