How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15714
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son receives SSI. He is a minor. He s 14 years old. I

Customer Question

My son receives SSI. He is a minor. He s 14 years old. I live in P.H.A. in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. is P.H.A. allowed to count his income and request 28% of it for rent in addition to my wages. I work 30 hours per week at CVS/Pharmacy. There is another child in my home. She is 13 years old and my daughter.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.


The PHA must use the gross amount to calculate income. Annual income, per 24 CFR 5.609, includes the full amount of periodic amounts from Social Security.

According to 24 CFR 5.609(c)(11), earnings in excess of $480 for each full-time student 18 years old or older (excluding head of household or spouse) are excluded from the calculation of annual income.

When determining a family's annual income, PHAs must consider all amounts, monetary or not, including the full amount, before any payroll deductions, of wages and salaries, overtime pay, commissions, fees, tips and bonuses, compensation for personal services, and more, as defined in 24 CFR 5.609.

Annual income is a family's anticipated total or gross income minus allowable exclusions (e.g., TOTAL/GROSS INCOME - EXCLUSIONS = ANNUAL INCOME).

SSI benefits of the entire family are counted as income.