Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I was on disability until September when I turned 62. My

Customer Question
I was on disability until...
I was on disability until September when I turned 62. My doctors say I am now capable of low stress, part-time work.
I would like to ask if the SSA offers any assistance to persons like me in finding such work.
I just want to feel useful and occupy more of my time with a worthwhile pursuit. I am retired so very flexible in terms of time. Ideally, I would like to work with people.
My name is*****####-##-#### I live in San Antonio, TX and my phone is(###) ###-####
I have a b.a. from the University of Texas - Austin and spent my career as a government and corporate executive.
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
7/26/2016
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 1 year ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Unfortunately social security is not as understanding. If you return to work, even part time and make more than 1130 per month, you will jeopardize your benefits. It is called substantial gainful activity test. Even if you switch to regular benefits at 62, your benefits will still be reduced by $1 for every 2$ if your earnings are more than 15,720 per year. Unfortunately, the same would apply to self-employment income as well.

Once you reach your full retirement age you can have unlimited earnings and keep your full benefits.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
dylatess
dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY