How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When i first applied benefits i asked to have my ex husbands

Customer Question

when i first applied for retirement benefits i asked to have my ex husbands taken into consideration, but she said he hadn't paid in enough. He was life time Air force & some civil service he's 70yrs old. Did his deductions go to some thing else? I cannot survive on my SOC
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Sharon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

First of all, from one USAF veteran's family to yours, thank you for you and your contribution and service to our country,

I'm not sure why you were told what you were told, but all of your husband's income in the military was taxed by social security, as was his income outside the service.

I suspect what they meant was that because a spouse benefit is limited to a maximum of just 50% of the benefit payable to the other spouse, you probably had a larger benefit on your own than 50% of your husband's benefit would be paid.

However, in the event that he dies before you do, you will be entitled then to a survivor benefit and that benefit will pay you 100% of the social security benefit he is receiving at the time of his passing. So you benefit will increase in the future if you outlive your husband.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

If I have already provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,