How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2940
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to take my social security at age 62. (Not 66 & 2

Customer Question

I want to take my social security at age 62. (Not 66 & 2 months ) I will be making $15,000 a year so I will not be penalized. But what is my wife, who is 15 years younger is making $60,000 a year. Will the combined income count and I will then I'll be penalized ?
Also, lets say I die in ten years. Can she get my social security and if so when? She's only going to work for a few years and will most likely not qualify for any.
Thanks, Joe
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 11 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

No, your wife's income will not reduce your SS benefits but it will make 85% of your benefits taxable.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 11 months ago.

It means that 85% of your benefits will be included in your joint income and taxed according to your tax bracket.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 11 months ago.

Any questions?

Expert:  emc011075 replied 11 months ago.

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.