How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12485
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Ex-husband passed away June 13,2016 last month. We had

Customer Question

My Ex-husband passed away June 13,2016 last month. We had been married 2 weeks short of 18 years. We were divorced in 1993. I am on Social Security Disability now and I am wondering if I can draw on his Social Security. He was several years older then me.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.



Yes you can. You only need to have been married for 10 years and not remarried before age 60.


Normally you must be age 60 (71.5% of his benefit, up to 100% if you wait until YOUR full retirement age).


However, see this from social secuerity here:


Your widow or widower [or divorced, not remarried before age 60, spouse] can receive:

  • reduced benefits as early as age 60 or full benefits atfull retirement age or older.
  • benefits as early as age 50 if he or she is disabled AND their disability started before or within seven years of your death.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.


If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

Otherwise I’m working for no crediting at all here


Thank you!


I hold a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986