How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 77 years of age. I have been working part-time years. I

Customer Question

I am 77 years of age. I have been working part-time for 16 years. I started my S.S. benefits at 65. I earn about $11.000.00 a year and I am paying all the taxes including . the F.I.C.A.. why do i not get anything back or increased S.S payments. my husband has his S.S. benefits and he is retired
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Your benefits are calculated using the 35 years during which you earned the most money, which for most people are the years before they retire. So unless your last 16 years were the best earning years, your benefits will not change.

It is not how much you contribute during your lifetime, its how much you make in your best earning years. If you happen to earn enough to make a difference in your benefits, after 65 SSA will automatically adjust your benefits.