How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4627
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was Over paid SS benefits. I work part time Government and

Customer Question

I was Over paid SS benefits.
I work part time for the Government and collect Social Security. I was sent a letter from the SSA that I made to much money prior to my 66th birthday. SSA is now requesting a repayment of over $8000.00 for overpaid benefits to me from age 63 to 66. I apparently made more that the $41,880.00 dollar threshold in those years.
1. I was unaware of this cumulative threshold,
2. I cannot afford to pay this amount,
Please advise.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just answer. I'mCustomer I'll assist.

There are a number of options available.

If your circumstances allow, SSA would ask for a check. If they do not, you can set up installments for a portion of the repayment. It is also possible that the overpayment won't need to be repaid at all.

SSA defaults to withholding future payments to repay overpayments.

First, review your income and payments for the years in question. Mistakes are made, and SSA will work with you to review and revise their math if their mistake is made within their appeal window.

You can do this yourself, but presenting your case for partial repayment or an inability to repay due to hardship might suggest asking for assistance.

Your circumstances will dictate what, if any, relief you may be granted, but there are options.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Please rate my assistance with the following rating scale below. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer