Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

As A Canadian Citizen would I be able to apply security

Customer Question
As A Canadian Citizen would...
As A Canadian Citizen would I be able to apply for social security number in United States?
How do I apply for one?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
7/18/2016
Social Security Expert: Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Dear Canadian Citizen,

I am attaching below a link for your reference. This is official announcement which has the higher authority than what I can tell you.

Unless you have a work-related purpose or immigration purpose, supposedly, you cannot apply for a social security number. Once you have a work related visa, you can apply for social security number. But I am not saying it is definitely no. You can and should always ask the Social Security Administration or retain an attorney to inquire further.

If your purpose is to file tax return, open bank accounts, etc., you can apply for a tax identification number with the IRS for purposes like these.

Please feel free to follow up with your questions, otherwise, I am ready for you to evaluate your satisfaction to my answer.

Regards,

Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10096.pdf

Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen