How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Fiona Chen Your Own Question
Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 482
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Dr. Fiona Chen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

As A Canadian Citizen would I be able to apply security

Customer Question

As A Canadian Citizen would I be able to apply for social security number in United States?
How do I apply for one?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 1 year ago.

Dear Canadian Citizen,

I am attaching below a link for your reference. This is official announcement which has the higher authority than what I can tell you.

Unless you have a work-related purpose or immigration purpose, supposedly, you cannot apply for a social security number. Once you have a work related visa, you can apply for social security number. But I am not saying it is definitely no. You can and should always ask the Social Security Administration or retain an attorney to inquire further.

If your purpose is to file tax return, open bank accounts, etc., you can apply for a tax identification number with the IRS for purposes like these.

Please feel free to follow up with your questions, otherwise, I am ready for you to evaluate your satisfaction to my answer.


Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP