How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15723
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is 62 and still working I'm and retired at 62. We

Customer Question

My husband is 62 and still working I'm 69 and retired at 62. We have been married for 29 years can I collect his amount per month rather than mine. His would be more than mine.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.


Generally when you qualify for benefits on your own record, SSA will pay that amount first. If the benefit on your spouse’s record is higher, you'll get an additional amount on your spouse’s record so that the combination of benefits equals that higher amount.

If you were born before January 2, 1954 and have already reached 65 (full retirement age), you can choose to receive only the spouse’s benefit and delay receiving your retirement benefit until a later date.

You can delay your own and just request spousal.

Please remember that you are required to rate in a positive way (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES) so I am credited for responding.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

Checking to see if you responded