How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12690
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I will retire in 2 yrs as a Teaching asst. I do after school

Customer Question

I will retire in 2 yrs as a Teaching asst. I do after school program for the extra money.Is it possible to collect ss from an ex spouse. we where married for 12 yrs. If so do I need to stop working the after school program.I make about a 1000 a month. Is there a limit to what I can make to collect on ex spouse social security
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.



Yes, you can certainly collect on the ex-spouses work record. The requirement, as you may know, is that you were married for 10 years.


Yoyu must be 62 (which is considered taking the benefit early ... there will be a 25% reduction for not waiting until your own full retirement age of 66)


You don't need to stop working. And there is only a reduction to the benefit if you earn more than the annual limit. For 2016, that limit is $15,720.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.


If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

Otherwise I’m working for no crediting at all here


Thank you!


I hold a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986