Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

How do i have my SS benefits reevaluated. I had my benefits

Customer Question
cut since i also receive...
how do i have my SS benefits reevaluated. I had my benefits cut since i also receive a teachers pension. Over the last years my benefits went from $112/mo in 7/14 to $74 in 12/14 to $49.40 in 2/15 to $61.70/mo in 3/15 and now $37.30 in 1/16. why is there a decrease when my husband's benefits have gone up.
thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
7/15/2016
Social Security Expert: keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner replied 1 year ago
keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner

Well since we don't have access to anyone's Social Security records, the most likely reason in your particular situation is that over this period your teachers' pension has probably increased which results in adjustments to any Social Security retirement pension that you are receiving.

Your husband's benefits have probably increased either by his minimal cost of living increases, unless he is still working in which his earnings may be greater than some of his early earning years, which enter into the 35 highest years used to compute his benefits.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. Is there a way to have social security re look and show me the calculations since my figures are lower than another person with similar figures? Are you able to make appointments and who do you call. The local office no longer has a phone number.

Yes, you should be able to make an appointment with your local office. You didn't indicate where you are located, but if you call the main Social Security number, they will either be able to make an appointment for you at the local office or give you an alternative. They may suggest a telephone appointment where they will go over the computations with you. In any event, if you call the following number, you should be able to get some acceptable alternatives to answer your specific questions and computations of benefit adjustments. Since Social Security doesn't publish the phone numbers of local offices, you have to call the main number at 1-***-***-****.

Just checking in...In looking over my "open" questions, I see that you have viewed my response.

Please let me know if I can answer any follow-up questions you may have. If none, then please remember to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive my share of the payment you have already made to the site.

Thanks very much,

Did you experience problems with re-locating your question after I responded to it? AND/OR,

Did you by any chance experience problems with the rating system?

I ask as around the time of your question the site was having some issues in this regard and some of the ratings weren't credit to us. If that was an issue with you, perhaps you could just indicate your rating in words, hopefully good, very good or excellent. If you would take a moment to do that, customer service with credit me with responding to you and close out the question favorably.

Thanks very much,

Just checking in.....................

I'd like to close out this question before the end of the month, if possible.

I would appreciate it if you would take a moment to let me know if I can assist you further and if you would provide a rating for my responses as indicated above.

Thanks again,

keeperumiami
keeperumiami