How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3793
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been informed that my spouse is entitled to receive

Customer Question

I have been informed that my spouse is entitled to receive at least the equivalent of one half of my Social Security payment each month? If that is correct, how do we get her payment corrected and is that retroactive to when she started drawing Social Security?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

What you have been informed of is the following:

Most women are potentially due two benefits: her own retirement benefit and wife’s benefit on your husband’s record.

But you only get the one that pays the higher rate, not both.

A wife is due between one-third and one-half of her husband’s Social Security. However, most working women who reach retirement age get their own Social Security benefit because it’s more than one-third to one-half of the husband’s rate.

However, if you were to die before your spouse, she can apply for the higher widow’s rate.

The following link contains excellent information you will find helpful:

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,


Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Best regards,