How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When my wife gets to be 661/2, which way benefits her more?

Customer Question

When my wife gets to be 661/2, which way benefits her more? Should she apply as a spouse of someone who already receives SS benefits, which I do, or should she just go with her own benefit that she is entitled to at that age? Or can she do both?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 11 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If she was 62 at the end of 2015 and her spousal benefits are less than her own, she has couple of options. She can file a restricted application, collect spousal benefits only and at 70 switch to her own that will increase in meantime by about 30%. If her spousal benefits are higher than her own, she can apply and keep spousal benefits. If her spousal and her own are about the same, she can boots her own by filing restricted applications.

She can only receive one benefits at the time, her own or spousal, but not both.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 11 months ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My wife works & will continue to work until she is 661/2. She gets no SS benefits now. Without knowing her income, typically, which way will give her the higher benefit at 661/2, her own SS benefit or a spousal benefit ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Let me know if you need our SS numbers in order to more accurately answer my question.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 11 months ago.

I do not have access to social security records or database. Only the social security agents can do that. You can also check your records online by loggin in into your online accounts. But again, only you can access or create your online account if you already don't have one.

If she works until 66, she will be eligible for 100% of her own benefits or 50% of spousal. She can choose to collect lower spousal and let her own grow by another 30% and at 70 switch to her own. This approach is called "restricted application". Without know her or your estimated benefits, I cannot tell you, what would be the best approach.