Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

In 2010 my husband pasted away, and i then started to

Customer Question
recieve widows benifits, along with...
in 2010 my husband pasted away, and i then started to recieve widows benifits, along with his social security , as his was more then mine. i recieved almost $200.00 dollars at that time.and every year it has been decreased . For 2016 I recieved $123.00.
i would like to know why it has been going down every year. and if so why?.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/6/2016
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 1 year ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

How old are you please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am 78 years old, and i want you to send the answer to my e-mail address

Hi, I must respond here, on the site forum. However, if you wish for premium services, we can email privately after you opt for that. I will ask that such an offer be made you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is that $52.00 dollars extra . then the $32

I didn't provide a phone offer, but the site may have. And yes, live phone consult also costs more and so is in addition to.

But, I am happy to answer your questions right here, no need for either of the others if you don't wish for that.

Are you still working?

Also, are you getting 2 Ss checks?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no i am not working i retired in 2013 i am not getting 2 checks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Each year my benefits go down, and the health insurance goes up. , we don't recieved any cost of living raise.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
please send answer
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not getting any aqnswer from you . Is this not reaching you. Please let me know,

I had to run out quickly! Sorry, I am back.

OK, there will be COLAs again. So that should help. What are you paying for Medicare? 104.90?

You said, "I then started t receive widows benefit, along with his social security" -- can you clarify what you mean by that because it seems to say 2 benefits. Thanks in advance for clarifying.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
before he passed away we both were getting social security checks. after he passed away i then received his benefit and the widows pension in one check, and i no longer received mine .

when you say "widows pension" are you referring to Social Security?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am talking about the benefit that i received as a widow . that is the benefit i am inquiring about that has been.reduced each year . on my social security check.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i was referring to social security

OK, this causes confusion because we don't receive his when he dies. Rather, you receive a Survivor benefit amount based on his record IF it is bigger than your own work record benefit. You could then be getting your own plus the balance to get your total amount up to the survivor amount due you.

But that all said, OK, so WHY is it reduced? Let's see if we can figure out the likely cause. From 200 to $123 is decent jump down.

Please tell me what Medicare insurance or insurances you have. I.e. do you have an advantage plan? Rx plan? Supplemental plan?

Also, has your income changed substantially from 2013 to 2014?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have medicare part A and part B. I also have security health supplement plan, and medicare prescription plan. The medicare and the supplement cost is $151,40 and the prescription premium is $ 77.00 per month . The total of which comes to $228.40.
My income changed when I retired from working 3 years ago . After the insurances are taken off i receive $638.60 a month. That includes both the social security benefit and the widows benefit. My question is why should the widows benefit be reduced. i would think once it was the amount was decieded it should remain the same each year.

Do you get ALL your SS benefits in ONE check per month? I think that is what you said before. If that is the case, what reference is leading you to believe that it is the Widow's addition amount, on top of your own amount, that is going down? Do you have reason to believe it is NOT that the deductions have increased, but that the actual gross amount of the benefit is reduced?

Also, do you have your 1099s from 2014 and 2015?

dylatess
dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY