How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15732
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the caregiver 40 year old daughter, *********

Customer Question

I am the caregiver for my 40 year old daughter, Amy ********* (***-**-****) My name is Elizabeth ********* (***-**-****) and I wanted to know if Social Security benefits would include any compensation for us as a caregiver status. I was recently at the local Social Security Office and picked up A Guide for Representative Payees. This got me thinking of the time that I pass and would then have to have someone take over the paying of bills for Amy. I have one other daughter that does not live in the state (she's a military spouse) that would probably have to meet this responsibility. Your guidance in this matter would be appreciated. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.


Some states have programs that help people pay for the caregiver of their choice, and in certain circumstances that can be a family member. SSA does not pay a caregiver.

Under SSA rules, individuals who serve as payees are not allowed to collect a fee for performing payee services.

The Medicaid program (government health insurance for low-income people – this program may go by a different name in your state), will provide money to pay family members to provide care to Medicaid recipients. As these are state specific you would need to check with your state.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

Checking to see if you responded