How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 19127
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm curious, when my father died he was receiving SSDi and

Customer Question

I'm curious, when my father died he was receiving SSDi and SS ( retirement and a chk because of a disability ) from what I understand if my mother hadn't remarried she would have continued to receive his checks. why do I, his disabled daughter not receive them?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

To receive benefits under your father's earnings, you must be :

  • unmarried; and
  • under age 18; or
  • 18-19 years old and a full-time student (no higher than grade 12); or
  • 18 or older and disabled from a disability that started before age 22.

If you meet these requirements, but are not receiving benefits, you should go to your local office of Social Security Administration and apply for survivor benefits.

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.