How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15182
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was just told that my ss card, which I received 45 years

Customer Question

I was just told that my ss card, which I received 45 years ago, is not valid at the Pennsylvania DMV because the "top part" is missing. There never was a "top part", and it has never been challenged before when shown for ID dozens of times over the years, including recently at the local SS office when I applied for my retirement benefits.
What is this bureaucrat saying? And if there is now a "top part" how do I get one?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 11 months ago.


It is unclear what is missing on your card, Across the top of a SS card is written "SOCIAL SECURITY" over the two columns on each side.

If your card was mutilated or cropped in such a way that the words are not there then that would be a reason for the DMV to question it.

There is no new card that has changed but you can request a replacement card.

You can use a my Social Security account to request a replacement Social Security card online if you:

  • Are a U.S. citizen age 18 years or older with a U.S. mailing address;
  • Are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card; and
  • Have a valid driver's license or a state-issued identification card from one of the following:
    • District of Columbia (driver's license only);
    • Idaho (driver’s license only);
    • Iowa;
    • Kentucky;
    • Michigan;
    • Mississippi;
    • Nebraska;
    • New Mexico;
    • North Dakota (driver’s license only);
    • Pennsylvania (driver's license only);
    • Washington; or
    • Wisconsin (driver's license only).

You can set up the SSA account here

Other than a mutilated card I cannot understand what they wanted from you.