How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13564
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How to find out if my grandchildren's father received

Customer Question

How to find out if my grandchildren's father received social security disability, he has passed away and I believe he said once that he received it and I believe the children should get survivor benefits for his social security
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

It won't matter if he received SSD. Another way for minor children to be eligible for SS benefits is via "survivor" benefits - even if he was never disabled. Their caretaker can go to the local office and apply there for each child. It should be done ASAP, because it does not go retro more than 6 months. And, if it turns out the father WAS on disability, while the old benefits that children COULD HAVE gotten as his dependents are not available past 6 months ago, if he just died recently, there may be a few of those 6 months available to them, that are not part of survivor benefit. Applying right away is KEY, particularly before June ends, because it is ends, that is another month that they can not get, as the January will no longer be payable.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!