socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  retired (mostly)
10097515

I have a friend that has been diagnosed with Chronic Fatgue

Customer Question

I have a friend that has been diagnosed with Chronic Fatgue Syndrome.1. Can she be declared disabled for his affliction and receive social security benefits?2. if she is does get benefits can she hold a part time job?For example she is paid to do math tutoring
Category: Social Security
Expert:  socrateaser replied 12 months ago.

Social Security only pays for total, permanent disability. In order to qualify under the Social Security definition of disabled:

• You cannot do work that you did before;
  • We decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
  • Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.

Consequently, your collateral questions are foreclosed by the fact that unless your friend is deemed totally and permanently disabled, she cannot receive Social Security Disability benefits.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.
Thanks again for using Justanswer!