How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband will be 62 on July 1, he is thinking about

Customer Question

My husband will be 62 on July 1, he is thinking about drawing his social security, but we are concerned that if I should die his social security will not support him. We have been married 3 years, could he draw mine if not how may years do we have to be married for him to be able to draw my social secuity.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

For him to collect benefits based on your records you must apply for your benefits first. If he apply at 62 all his benefits he is or will be eligible for will be permanently reduced by about 25 - 30%. At 62 he will automatically receive higher of his own or about 32% of yours.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Here are couple of links to figure out the exact percentage:

His own:

and spousal:

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?