Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

My ss # is 041425673. I presently received a monthly ss

Customer Question
my ss # *****###-##-#### *****...
my ss # *****###-##-#### ***** presently received a monthly ss check of about $1500 and my wife, who has never worked, receives one for $745. What happens to these benefits when i die? D E Greetham
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
6/25/2016
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

...

Your wife's benefit will be raised to $1500 IF she is full retirement age (likely age 66) or older, when you die.

...

IF she is younger than age 60 when you die she will not receive a benefit until age 60 at the earliest.

...

Then, depending on when she asks for the higher benefit, the benefit will be paid to her at 71.5% of your benefit (at age 60) increasing to 100% of your benefit (at age 66 or older)

...

Benefit's cannot be "stacked," as Social Security puts it. Her benefit will simply be raised TO the higher benefit, depending on her age when she files for SURVIVOR (widow's) benefit.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

JustAnswer will not credit me for the work unless you do.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS