How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13542
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I receive s.s. benefits under my father's s.s. number. I

Customer Question

I receive s.s. benefits under my father's s.s. number. I also am entitled to disability benefits which I don't get because I get my father's social security. I was told I can't get married or I'll lose my sl.s. benefits I would keep my disability but that is much much lowerWhat should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

OK, it sounds like you are taking a dependent benefit off of your father's work record, which is possible for claimant's who became disabled prior to age 22. It is known as a DAC benefit. It is true that DAC recipients (disabled adult child) must be "dependent" in a sense. Once we get married, we are no longer dependents of our parent, but not our spouse has the obligation to financially support us. As such, we can't get dependent benefits off of our parent. You CAN however, take your own work record benefit, even if married.

That said, there is an exception to the married rule for DAC beneficiaries - if you marry another DAC recipient. Then you can continue to choose your own DAC benefits.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!