How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have not yet applied benefits and quite honestly do not

Customer Question

I have not yet applied for any benefits and quite honestly do not care to waste my time if I cannot qualify. I had a massive heart attack on May 29, 2016. I am unable to work, right now. And I am certain the type job I do, installation technician, for Satellite TV is not going to be doable anymore. What are my options?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

The best would be to apply for disability benefits.

The fist step is to communicate with your doctor - and ask to evaluate your health from disability prospective.


The definition of disability under Social Security is different than other programs. Social Security pays only for total disability. No benefits are payable for partial disability or for short-term disability.

"Disability" under Social Security is based on your inability to work. We consider you disabled under Social Security rules if:

  • You cannot do work that you did before;
  • We decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
  • Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.


Most Social Security disability claims are initially processed through a network of local Social Security Administration (SSA) field offices and State agencies (usually called Disability Determination Services or DDSs). Subsequent appeals of unfavorable determinations may be decided in a DDS or by an administrative law judge in SSA's Office of Disability Adjudication and Review.


Here is an official publication that you may find helpful


Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

Here is an official publication that you may find helpful

Let me know if you need any further clarification.