How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29799
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got married in March 2015 and my spouses Social Security

Customer Question

I got married in March 2015 and my spouses Social Security is greater than mine. I am 69 now and started getting Social Security at age 62. Can I switch over to claim on my spouses Social Security?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

You would need to contact the Social Security Administration and provide information about your spouse - proof of marriage and SSN - so they will verify your spousal benefits.
As a spouse - you are entitled for social security benefits based on your spouse's working record - that generally will be 50% of what your spouse is entitled.

As you started benefits at 62 (before your FRA) - your spousal benefits will be reduced as well.

Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.


If you qualify for benefits on your own record, the SSA will pay that amount first. If the benefit on your spouse’s record is higher, you'll get an additional amount on your spouse’s record so that the combination of benefits equals that higher amount.