How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12471
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I draw social security benefits and military retirement

Customer Question

Can I draw social security benefits and military retirement at the same tome?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.



Yes, while you’re in military service, you pay Social Security taxes just as civilian employees do. You currently pay a 6.2 percent Social Security tax on up to $118,500 of your earnings. The Medicare tax rate is 1.45 percent on all wages, and high-income earners also pay an additional 0.9 percent on earnings above certain amounts.


If you served in the military from 1940 through 1956, including attendance at a service academy, you didn’t pay Social Security taxes.


However, your Social Security record may be credited with $160 a month in earnings for military service from September 16, 1940, through December 31, 1956, under the following circumstances:

• You were honorably discharged after 90 or more days of service, or you were released because of a disability or injury received in the line of duty; or

• You’re still on active duty; or

• You’re applying for survivors benefits and the veteran died while on active duty


So yes, in almost ALL cases, you'll have social security AND your military benefits

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

By the way, if you have health care insurance from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) or under the TRICARE or CHAMPVA program, your health benefits may change or end when you become eligible for Medicare. You should contact the VA, the Department of Defense or a military health benefits advisor for more information, if this applies.


Please let meknow if you have any questions at all.


If this HAShelped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate apositive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and thenclicking “submit")

JustAnswer willnot credit me for the work unless you do.


Thank you!


I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations,as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate,corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986