How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If i am retiring June 30, 2016 and never applied security,

Customer Question

If i am retiring June 30, 2016 and never applied for social security, can I back date starting benefits? If so, how far back can I go. I turned 70 years old in April 2016.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Linda,

I'm Doug, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, indeed, as you are over the age of 66 you are eligible to file a retroactive retirement benefit application with social security. You may file retroactively up to 6 months. However as your benefit finally reached its maximum level on your 70th birthday, if you retire this month (June 2016) and ask for back benefits to January, while you will get the 6 months retroactive benefits, your lifetime benefit from here on out will be about 2.3% less than if you just asked for it retroactive to your 70th birthday month.

So, if you want to maximize your retirement benefit going forward, while you can ask for retroactive benefits going back up to 6 months, you might be better off asking for benefits only going back to when you turned 70.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Anissa,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?

In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,