How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29574
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got married to a guy in October 9, 1991. We divorced on

Customer Question

Hello,I got married to a guy in October 9, 1991. We divorced on July 6, 2000. He is deceased and I will be 60 in August. I did not remarry, because of a 5 month difference to 10 years will I be able to collect his social security? Is there some kind of clause on something where I will be able to collect it? Waiting to hear from you soon. Thanks Vickie
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

Exactly because you were married LESS than 10 years - as a divorced spouse - you do not qualify for survival social security benefits.

Sorry if you expected differently.

Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

See here

If you are the divorced spouse of a worker who dies, you could get benefits just the same as a widow or widower, provided that your marriage lasted 10 years or more.


If you are caring for a child under age 16 or disabled who is getting benefits on the record of your former spouse, you would not have to meet the length-of-marriage rule. The child must be your former spouse's natural or legally adopted child.

That is the only exemption from the requirement....


I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all tax related issues.